How to obtain a green card. immigration lawyer. Philadelphia immigration lawyer. USCIS. u.s citizen

Obtaining a Green Card

How To Become a Permanent Resident in the United States (Green Card)


To obtain a green card through a family member you must be either:

1. An immediate relative of a U.S citizen. This means that

you are the spouse of a U.S. citizen, an unmarried child under the age of 21 of a U.S citizen, or a parent of a U.S citizen over the age of 21.

2. A family member of a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. This includes unmarried children over the age of 21, married children, and siblings who are at least 21 years old (doesn't qualify for family members who are permanent residents).

3. Fiancé of a U.S. citizen or the fiancé's child who is admitted to the U.S on a K-1 visa for the fiancé and a K-2 visa for the child.

4. Widow of a U.S. citizen, you must have been married to your spouse at the time your spouse died.


To obtain a green card through employment you must be either:

1. An immigrant worker that falls into first preference, second preference, or third preference immigrant worker.

2.Physician who complies with other requirements.

3.Immigrant investor meaning you have or are in the process of investing at least one million dollars in a new commercial enterprise in the U.S. which will create full time positions for at least ten qualifying employees.


If you are eligible to become a permanent U.S. resident you will have to fill out all corresponding forms and include all supporting documents and fees. 

The process of obtaining a green card can last from 8-12 months depending on the surrounding circumstances. Once issued, a green card can last for up to 10 years.

Learn More

There are several different ways that you can qualify to get a green card that are not listed. Contact your Philadelphia Immigration attorney or Charlotte Immigration attorney if you have questions about your eligibility or the immigration process.